Grants &

Grants &

Grants &

Energy Grants & Assistance

Free, practical consumer advice and information on energy-related matters for the citizens of Scotland

Feed-in Tariffs and The Green Deal

The Green Deal was a UK government scheme where money could be borrowed to pay for energy-saving home improvements. This scheme provided loans that could be used for energy saving installations to homes. The type of energy-saving measure varied from double glazing, to insulation, to draught-proofing, to renewable energy generation installations like heat pumps and solar panels. Applications to the scheme ended in 2015 but you may still be paying back the loan. If you are unsure if you were part of the Green Deal, there are three ways to check:

  • Do you have a signed credit agreement with the Green Deal provider?
  • Do you have an annual statement of what has been paid and what is still owed?
  • Are Green Deal payments part of your bill? If in doubt, you should contact the supplier to check.

If you believe that your Green Deal provider sold the scheme to you based on false information (e.g. saying it was free), you may have been mis-sold Green Deal. The following steps can be taken to resolve the issue:

Use the provider’s internal complaints procedure. More information on how to do this will be available on your energy suppliers’ website or the back of your most recent bill or statement.

Put the complaint in writing and send it to the provider. Ensure that you explicitly state that you wish to complain and the reason(s) why. The provider should write to you within 8 weeks. They should either send a letter explaining how they will resolve the issue or send a ‘letter of deadlock’ that rejects the complaint.

If you have not received a satisfactory response within 8 weeks or been sent a ‘letter of deadlock’, you can escalate the complaint to the Energy Ombudsman. You can contact the ombudsman by calling:

0330 440 1624 (Monday to Friday-8am until 8pm, Saturday-9am until 1pm),

or by vising:

What is the Feed-In Tariffs Scheme?


The Feed-in Tariffs (FIT) scheme was previously a government initiative developed in a way to promote the uptake of renewable and low-carbon electricity generation technologies.

It launched on the 1st of April 2010, and it required participating licensed electricity suppliers to make payments on both generation and export from eligible installations.


The FIT Scheme Closing


NOTE: Please note that the FIT scheme closed to new applicants from the 1st of April 2019, with some exceptions still possible. Ofgem have published an FAQ and guidance document which can help explain the impact of these changes.


Who was the Scheme Designed for?


The FIT scheme was available for anyone who has installed, or is looking to install, one of the following technology types up to a capacity of 5MW, or 2kW for CHP:

  • Solar photovoltaic (solar PV).
  • Wind.
  • Micro combined heat and power (CHP).
  • Hydro.
  • Anaerobic digestion (AD).


How Does the Scheme Work?


FIT payments are made quarterly (at least) for the electricity your installation has generated and exported. Payments are made based on the meter reading you submit to your energy supplier (Ofcom refers to them as your FIT licensee).

FIT payments are made by your energy supplier from the date you become eligible for the scheme.

The number of new installations that can receive support under the FIT scheme each month is capped (these are referred to as these deployment caps). Applications queue for entry into the FIT scheme:


Ofgem have also published additional guidance on the latest FIT queue information is available here as well as the latest FIT tariff rates are available here.

The above information can all be found through Feed-in Tariffs (FIT) | Ofgem if you wish to see further information on this area.

The GOV.UK website also has some useful guidance on feed in tariffs including some tools available for the public to use such as the solar energy calculator and the cashback calculator – see Feed-in tariffs: get money for generating your own electricity – GOV.UK (

Energy Grants, Payments, and Other Support

Home Energy Scotland offer free, impartial advice to help you stay warm at home, save energy and reduce your carbon footprint. Funded by the Scottish Government, Home Energy Scotland can also help you access financial support to make your home more efficient and cheaper to heat.

You can find out more at or call free on 0808 808 2282

Cold Weather Payments (CWPs) are additional social fund payments to help heat your home during periods designated as “periods of cold weather”.



You can get Cold Weather Payments if you meet any of the following:

– You claimed Income support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) or income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit (UC) for at least one day during the “period of cold weather” and had a child under five living with you on that day. If you were claiming Universal Credit, you need to have been in receipt of disabled child addition or limited capability for work element or a limited capability for work-related activity element, or limited capability for work element or a limited capability for work-related activity element (if it did not include the carer element instead).

– You claimed Guaranteed Credit and/or the Savings Credit part of Pension Credit for at least one day during the “period of cold weather”.

– You claimed Income Support or income-based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) with disability premium or severe disability premium or enhanced disability premium or disabled child premium or pensioner premium or higher pensioner premium or enhanced pensioner premium.

– During a period of cold weather you claimed income-related Employee Support Allowance (ESA) and the support component or work-related activity component.



You will receive £25 for each “period of cold weather” (Subject to change. Will require update if payment is changed).


“Periods of cold weather” are when your local weather station records or forecasts a mean daily temperature over seven consecutive days averaging zero degrees Celsius or below.

What are Winter Fuel Payments?


A Winter Fuel Payment (WFP) is a lump-sum tax-free payment paid annually to most older people during the winter months.

In order to claim this payment, you must have been born on or before 5 November 1953 and permanently live in the UK on the 3rd Monday of September of the year (the qualifying period).

You can’t claim this while in court custody, in a care home, if you have no recourse to public funds, if you have been in a hospital for 52 weeks before the qualifying period or you are in residential care.

The amount you get varies depending on circumstance but should be between £100 and £300.

You should receive this payment automatically from the DWP and if you don’t, the Winter Fuel Payment helpline can be contacted for assistance on 0800 731 016-. They are open Monday to Friday 8am-6pm.

Energy: Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI)


What is the Domestic RHI Scheme?


The Domestic RHI refers to a government financial incentive which aims to promote the use of renewable heat.

People who join the scheme and adhere to its rules are given quarterly payments for seven years for how much clean and green renewable heat it is estimated their system produces.

In other words, you could expect to receive money towards renewable heating costs in your home.


Who is it Designed for?


The scheme is available to anyone who can meet the joining requirements. It caters for households both off and on the gas grid.


What are the Types of Heating I can Claim for?


You can claim for:

  • Biomass boilers
  • Solar water heating
  • Certain heat pumps


Payments are made for 7 years and are based on the amount of renewable heat made by your heating system. The money is paid through the domestic RHI scheme (see further guidance on this by Ofgem here Domestic RHI scheme).


What are the Eligibility Criteria for the Scheme?


Applications are available to those who live in England, Scotland, or Wales. You must either:

  • Own your home
  • Be a private or social landlord


NOTE: New build properties will not normally be eligible. The only exception is if you are building your own home.


What Would I Expect to Receive?


You can use the Domestic RHI payment calculator on the GOV.UK website to see how much you could potentially get.


How Do I Apply to this Scheme?


You will be required to apply online through the Ofgem website (apply online).

Further Information is also made available to the public by Ofgem about the scheme.


Can I Receive Advice and Support on this?


You can access further help through the agencies below:


Simple Energy Advice
Telephone: 0800 444 202
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm.


Home Energy Scotland
Telephone: 0808 808 2282
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 9am to 5pm


You can Find out about call charges on the GOV.UK website.


Is there a Non-Domestic Scheme Available?


Please be aware that there is a separate RHI scheme which is designed for businesses, the public sector, and non-profit organisations that can you apply for. This is displayed within the next drop-down option below. 

Energy: Non-Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI)


What is the Non-Domestic RHI Scheme?


NOTE: This scheme is closed to new applicants. However, there are some exceptions under which an application for accreditation or registration can be made post-scheme closure, including those who have been provided an extension application or have a Tariff Guarantee extended commission date. 

The Non-Domestic RHI was a scheme designed to help businesses, public sector, and non-profit organisations meet the cost of installing renewable heat technologies.


What Types of Heating can be Applied for?


You can claim for:

  • Biomass.
  • Heat pumps (ground source, water source, and air source).
  • Deep geothermal.
  • Solar thermal collectors.
  • Biomethane and biogas.
  • Combined heat and power (CHP) systems.


Payments are made over 20 years and are based on the heat output of your system.

The money is paid through the Non-Domestic RHI Scheme (see the guidance on Non-domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme on the Ofgem website).


What was the Eligibility Criteria to Join this Scheme?


You can apply if your equipment was installed in England, Scotland, or Wales on or after the 15th of July 2009.

Your equipment must also meet specific requirements (see the certain requirements criteria on the Ofgem website).

Further guidance in this area can be found here Non-Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) | Ofgem on the Ofgem website. 


Who can I Speak to for Further Assistance?


Telephone: 0300 003 2289
Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm
Friday, 9am to 4:30pm

You can Find out about call charges on the GOV.UK website.

Energy Discounts


Warm Home Discount schemes are managed by energy companies and reduce your energy bill by £140.

You will qualify if you are receiving the Guaranteed element of Pension credit or are on a low income.

Not every energy company will run this schemes and you find out if your supplier does by visiting

Boiler Grants

This refers to a scheme that provides, or heavily subsidises, the cost of a new boiler or other energy-efficiency measure. It aims to reduce outdated boilers and improve their energy efficiency. The UK Government obligates certain energy companies to provide/subsidise boilers and efficiency measures. These companies are British Gas, Co-operative Energy, EDF Energy Eon, Shell, Energy Npower, Ovo, Scottish Power, SSE, Utilita and Utility Warehouse.

The company should contact you if you are their customer and qualify for the measures. They should then inform you of the Energy Company Obligation and how it works. If you are not using one of the companies and still qualify, the company are still bound to meet the obligation if you apply. The customer can apply through their company, or alternatively, by calling Home Energy Scotland on 0808 808 2282.

To qualify, you must meet three key criteria. Firstly, your combined household income must not be more than £20,000 per year. Secondly, if you are a tenant, you must get the permission from your landlord. Thirdly, you must claim one of the qualifying benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Guarantee Credit (you will not be eligible if you only claim Pension Savings Credit)
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefits
  • War Pensions Mobility Supplement
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Child Benefit

Home Heating Support

This fund supports vulnerable individuals and those in need, to help communities respond to the needs and challenges they are experiencing.

Who can apply?

  • Individuals can apply to the fund through the ‘Household Application’ route on the Home Heating Support Fund Website.
  • Application can also be made by trusted referral partners on behalf of their clients. Trusted referral partners for the project include local authorities and 3rd sector partners who are providing energy advice and/or approved money advice.
  • Due to nature of fund, applicants cannot be disconnected already. If this is the case, they should be redirected to a more appropriate funding source.


How can an application be made?


What is Self-Rationing in regard to energy?

  • Self-rationing of energy refers to customers deliberately limiting their energy use to spend money on other goods or services. Self-rationing affects both prepayment meter and credit meter customers.


What is self-disconnection?

  • Prepayment meters store a certain amount of credit that is used up in exchange for energy.
  • When credit on a prepayment meter runs out, no more energy can be used until more credit put on the meter.
  • Exhausting all credit on a pre-payment meter is referred to as Self disconnection.


How is it paid?

  • Once evidence has been checked, payment will be made directly to the energy supplier. 

Get in Touch

Click to connect with one of our dedicated energy advisers,
available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm


0808 196 8660
Monday to Friday
9am to 5pm

Live Chat

Use this website’s live chat
function and connect with
one of our advisers


Send us an email


Connect with us